Lourdes Institute of Wholistic Studies is a division of Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center. We strive for excellence in our stewardship to our patients, their families, the community and each other by promoting a culture that embraces diversity. We commit to being a transforming, healing presence within the diverse communities in which we live and serve. We create collaborative, inclusive, caring communities who provide a full spectrum of quality medical and wholistic health services. We promote healthy communities and assure access to all – especially those most in need.
- To carry out the mission and philosophy of Lourdes Health System.
- To provide students with a learning experience that promotes the health and well-being of themselves and their clients.
- To train caring and qualified wholistic health practitioners.
- To help students develop professional work habits rooted in integrity and commitment.
- To model professional and ethical practices toward all clients.
- To help students develop self-awareness and self-care, which will enhance their facilitation of healing others.
- To strengthen student’s intuition and perception of the body as energy.
- To open students up as instruments of healing, love and energy.
- To offer a flexible program that will meet the needs of various populations.
Lourdes Institute of Wholistic Studies (LIWS) emerged through the unique programs of Lourdes Wellness Center. As a division of Our Lady of Lourdes Medical Center, Lourdes Wellness Center began offering programs to the community in 1979. Seven years later, Lourdes Wellness Center incorporated classes in massage and other wholistic modalities into their curriculum. The new classes were different because they emphasized the spirituality component of each wellness modality. In 1993, these classes developed into certification courses offered by a new extension of Lourdes Wellness Center – Lourdes Institute of Wholistic Studies. Today, Lourdes Institute is its own entity and has become an innovator within the realms of Wholistic education by being one of the first schools to offer a Massage Therapy Associate Degree in Applied Science in conjunction with Camden County College. Our certification programs in Massage, Reflexology, Herbal Medicine, Aromatherapy and Yoga Teacher Training continue to be the best in the region with a high percentage of our graduates moving on to rewarding careers in the wholistic field.